Present on the call : Janet Hauter ( American Catholic Council )
Ashik Naz ( Pakistan )
Rene Reid ( USA )
Cristina Reymer ( New Zealand )
Sr. Socorro Martínez ( Mexico )
Don Pribor ( USA )
Virginia Saldanha ( India )
1.Janet Hauter explains the draft proposal for the Synod of the People of God which will be held in Dallas in October , 2018 . She explains the synodal model of church – Catholics exercise their adult rights and responsibilities in the church – levels playing field between hierarchy and people of God
2. Synod of the People of God in Dallas open to all – hope is to develop a new governance model – in anticipation of Pope Francis’ idea of the church as an inverted pyramid
3. Why synod not forum? Moving from discipleship to apostleship – change of mindset for lay people- invitation to think more broadly – gathering of the people, not a series of guest speakers, the people give their input – not a conference, but a consultation – a working session – using listening circles so all voices are heard
4. Outcomes of Synod will not be institutional solutions, like lay involvement in the selection on bishops. Listening circle model will involve small Christian communities forming on-line and in break-out groups at the Synod. Forming small communities will be a product of the Synod.
5. The hope is to encourage people to organize synods using the synodal process in their parishes, dioceses and regions
6. Synod is open to all but focal point is results for the United States
7. What is the relationship between Call To Action and the American Catholic Council ? The hope that there is a CTA presence at the Synod in Dallas. Don will connect Janet with Zach, the new CTA executive director. CTA national conference in Texas in November 2018 and the Synod will be in Texas in October 2018.
8. Using Zoom technology to connect small groups of people around the world – have small faith community meetings and move to connect small groups with larger meetings : CEBs gathering in Londrina, Brazil in Jan. 2018 and also ACC Synod, for example. Bring larger gatherings to the wider world.
9. Twin up communities around the world – issue of different languages- Socorro has a community of young people in Mexico who has someone who speaks English – can we connect them with groups of young people in Pakistan, India , Kenya ?
10. American Catholic Council formed in 2008 to consider organizing a synod of lay people. Inaugural event was Pentecost 2011 in Detroit to commemorate the gathering that was the original Call To Action event in the 1970’s. ACC was inspired by Pope Francis and his idea of a more decentralized church .
11. The Synod expects to have at least 3500 participants. Pope Francis will be invited to give a video address.
12. We Are Church “ Reformation Project “ will be re-sent to CCRI team to be discussed at next meeting. How can CCRI develop a working relationship with We Are Church? Issues of clericalism is much greater in Asia and Africa so harder to create connections with church reform groups.
13. Ashik Naz needs a letter from CCRI to give to his bishop and nuncio in Pakistan about the Year of the Laity proposal . Also send a Google group letter about the Year of the Laity to bishops around the world.
14. Cristina met with reform-minded Catholics in northern New Zealand. Interest in reform all over New Zealand and interest in global connections. Will the church of the future become even more open to ecumenism and interfaith relationships ?